We offer pre-kindergarten through fifth-grade classes at Jackson Elementary. Jackson classrooms follow the Guiding Principles of Responsive Classroom.
Guiding Principles of Responsive Classroom:
- The social curriculum is as important as the academic curriculum.
- How children learn is as important as what they learn.
- The greatest cognitive growth occurs through social interaction.
- There is a specific set of social skills that children need to learn & practice in order to be successful: Cooperation, Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy, and Self-Control. It's also known as C.A.R.E.S.
- Knowing the children we teach individually, culturally, and developmentally is as important as knowing the content we teach.
- Knowing the families of the children we teach is as important as knowing the children we teach.
- How we - the adults at school - work together is as important as our individual competence.